Randolph Petitions > Welcoming Town
Welcoming Town Resolution
Sign online petition (takes one minute)
Download official charter petition (sign and mail in)
Supporting information (Download details)
We, the below-signed registered voters of Randolph Massachusetts, hereby request that the Town Council adopt the “Welcoming Town Resolution”, in its entirety; the resolution says in summary:
- The Randolph Police shall not detain any person solely to investigate their immigration status
- The Randolph Police shall not inquire into immigration status of any persons seeking police assistance
- The Randolph Police shall not offer assistance to immigration authorities beyond what is legally required
- These practices represent the long-standing practices of the Randolph police.
Background and Purpose
- This petition publicizes the existing policies of the Randolph police with regards to interacting with our many immgrant neighbors.
- Nevertheless, our Town Council won't support a Resolution about this policy -- in other words, they won't agree to publicize the existing policies!
- Their reasons range from "You should go tell people yourselves" to "This is just a Sanctuary City resolution in disguise."
- We DO want to go tell people ourselves -- but we want to tell them "Your Town Council agrees with these good policies about police relations with immigrants" -- and they won't agree!
- We ARE NOT seeking Sanctuary City status -- that would mean we ask our police to NOT comply with federal law -- we are not asking for that!
- We need to tell our Town Council that we want them to endorse the existing policy, and then publicize that our police will respect our immigrant neighbors, within existing law!